is Google’s first small business outreach initiative specifically tailored for the US Latino community to drive economic growth by helping local businesses get online and get more customers. We want to make getting online easy, fast and free for all businesses. Google has partnered with Intuit to offer free websites, as well as tutorials about our online tools and resources.
- We are offering:
- free, easy-to-build Intuit website
- free customized domain name
- free web hosting for one year
- free tools, resources, and trainings
- This is the launch of a national effort to get Hispanic-owned businesses online. It is a continuation of last year’s successful 50 state tour of “Get Your Business Online.”
- Now workshops and the website are in Spanish to help encourage more Hispanic-owned businesses to get online.
- We’ve partnered with Intuit to provide the websites, with support from local and national small business organizations.
- See blogpost here with summary of 50 state venture.
- These events will have multiple workshops that provide businesses with a fast, easy, and free way to get a website and tips on how to build an online presence. Everything that is available at the event is also available online at www.gybo/espanol (please use this link http://goo.gl/Ut4nq so we can track traffic from LATISM)
- We hosted events in LA & Miami last year and are thrilled to be back and offering the events in Spanish.
Get Your Business Online is a Google-led program dedicated to driving economic growth by providing local businesses the tools and resources to get online, grow and expand.
One of the most important ways that we can help small businesses and the economy is to help businesses increase their presence visibility online - this enables them to find new customers and sell more products and services.
- According to the US Census, Hispanic businesses have seen 44% growth in the past 5 years.
- US Hispanics generate new ventures 3x faster than the general population.
- US Hispanics represent the fastest growing segment of SMBs in the US. The potential economic impact of getting these businesses online is huge.
- While 97% of internet users go online to look for local products and services, 58% of US small businesses do not have a website.
Why did you choose to do a specific program for Hispanic owned businesses? US Hispanics represent the fastest growing segment of SMBs in the US. The potential economic impact of getting these businesses online is huge. This initiative will increase access to the web for Spanish-speaking business owners.
What’s in this for Google?
We are committed to a vibrant web, and think that small businesses have a large role to play, as 97% of users look for local products and services online. We also believe that the more small businesses we can help, the more we can help the US economy.
More opportunity to connect customers with businesses. If someone is searching for “plumber in Miami” and there are no results, a plumber will lose that business opportunity. The searcher won’t find what they are looking for, and that is bad for Google.
Where else have you done this program?
We have now done events in all 50 states, but are continuing to make our way across the country to get even more businesses online.
What are the goals ? How many businesses do you want to get online?
We want to get as many businesses online as we possibly can over the next year, we hope many hundreds of thousands. We are working with our partners to reach out to all businesses around the country who aren’t online yet. We think that if we can help small businesses grow and expand around the country, we can help our economy.
Where else has Google done this?
Google has launched programs very similar to Get Your Business Online in 40+ countries including Great Britain, Canada, Ireland, Australia, Thailand, Brazil, Spain, Germany, Belgium, France, Italy, Hungary and Poland. These were very successful in helping businesses get online and start expanding their customer base.
In the US, we have been to all 50 states!
How much will domain hosting cost in the second year? According to Intuit, after the first year, the website costs just $4.99/month and the domain name $2/month. It can be cancelled at any time.